Appointments made to the Vatnajökull National Park regional committees
The Minister for the Environment has appointed four regional committees for the Vatnajökull National Park. Each committee has six members:
- three nominated by the local authorities
- one nominated by tourism stakeholders
- one nominated by outdoor activity associations
- one nominated by environmental protection associations
The role of the committees prior to the establishment of the Vatnajökull National Park is to provide advice on a regulatory framework for the Park and to participate in other preparatory work.
In addition, the chairmen of the regional committees will serve on the Park's Board of Directors.
Once the National Park has been established, the role of the regional committees will be to:
- provide the Park Warden and the Park's Board with advice on the affairs of Park
- prepare proposals for conservation plans
- propose operating plans for each area within the cost budget as determined by the Board from time to time
- submit proposals for the recruitment of Park wardens for each area.